Sunday, March 7, 2010

Legasp! It's changed! The weight of the antagonist/mostpopulargirlinschool!

I watched Mean Girls twice this weekend. I really do enjoy it. It's got a good screenplay, an incredible cast and good direction. As in, a good director. Although I'm sort of biased because I love Rachel McAdams.

Anyway, I realized that the way the most popular girl in school has changed. Even when Sabrina, The Teenage Witch was on tv, the most popular girl, Libby Chessler, had a healthy weight. She wasn't fussing over her weight (from what the viewers saw) and she wasn't made fun of for it.


While on Mean Girls, when Regina George gained a few pounds, people made fun of her. She was also constantly wanting to lose a few pounds. She didn't even need to! Even when McAdams was wearing a fat suit, she looked perfectly fine. It's amazing how things change over time.

It amazes me to watch Sabrina, The Teenage Witch now, and see Libby as the most popular girl in school. And I grew up with that show. I even "grew up" with Mean Girls. I remember seeing the movie the first day it came out when I was in grade eight. I didn't think much about it then, but still. It's kind of weird.

Am I the only one that noticed that? Has the definition of beauty changed in the media that much over a few years? The answer of course, is yes.

Whatever the case, I enjoy both characters. Not so much for their personalities, but what amusement they bring to the viewer.

- Possum

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I hadn't really NOTICED that, but I see what you mean. I think the whole weight thing and what's considered the weight to be or whatever sort of fluctuates. Like it'll go from really skinny to sort of curvy, etc. in what's considered beautiful. Basically, no one can have the perfect body FOREVER. As in, people a few years from now may look at models from now who are meant to have "the perfect bodies," and it'll be completely ugly to them because they like plump girls. IT sucks, but it's pretty true. HOWEVER, it should be noted that not all people in a generation like the same thing. Like my cousin told me that he thinks skinny girls "are hideous." This was a major confidence booster for me because I am naturally really thin (oh wait...maybe not a booster).

    BUT ANYWAY. I think the whole weight of this ramble is to be happy as you are because SOME people will like it, and SOME people will hate it...but really you're the only one who matters anyway. I mean, honestly.

    Oh, and Mean Girls and Sabrina are both awesome forms of entertainment...YES.

    I'm glad to see that you survived the weekend without me! hah

    ReplyDelete