Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Personal Dilemma

So I got an interview at a second hand bookstore today for my co-op placement. As they really know nothing about me, I don't really see this as an accomplishment, per say. They are just kind of saying yes to the potential for a FREE worker. Who wouldn't say yes to that?

Speaking of that, today this guy told me that I could be HIS co-op student. I can do his chores, make him a sandwich, work in the kitchen where women belong... I just stared at him blankly, but seriously. As I had a class with him last semester, I know he's just LIKE that, but seriously. Who even believes that?

However, even though I've GOT an interview at a bookstore, I've still got some hesitation. When I was talking to ANOTHER teacher, she asked if I was interested in working with kids. I, of course, am sort of planning on becoming a teacher (maybe) so I said yes. Here's the thing: I can get a co-op placement at a school. Working with little kids.

I'm caught between two things. My own personal interest and future in retail sales for a summer job, or my future. Long term, or short term? Instant gratification or future fulfillment? The thing with all this is, I can actually see if I want to work with children. Y'know?

But I really love books.

Plus there's the whole thing about not even getting the placement at the bookstore. Whoah. I want to smack myself.

I don't know what to do.

Yadayadayada.

- Possum

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...this is DIFFICULT. I suppose that's why it's called a dilemna.

    On the one hand, if you get the co-op at the bookstore, then you could maybe get an actual PAYING job there once they see how awesome you are. But on the other...you could make sure you like kids. But you already know whether or not you like kids, right? I mean, you've had interaction with kids before or whatever? If you haven't really had a chance to be around kids so much, then it would maybe be better to do that just to make sure you don't hate them. But...if you already know you like kids, then there's no point doing the co-op placement at the school. Personally, I would go for the bookstore. I mean, I REALLY like kids, but c'mon...BOOKS! But I'm not thinking of being a teacher, so you know. But would it hurt to TRY for the bookstore? Because if you don't make it (YOU TOTALLY SHOULD), then you could always fall back on the school. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete