Friday, January 1, 2010

Ground Rules on TWO Resolutions + Contests

I've got a lot of resolutions for myself this year. I mean, I'm man* enough to admit that. But when I came across this contest, I had to pick my top two. Which I did: Read two books a month and blog daily. However, with my blog daily challenge resolution, I put a clause: two excuse days a month.

I should've put some ground rules down before I signed myself up for this scheme of awesome, but I didn't. So I am right now. I guess it's true when people say it's better late than never!:
  1. Blog daily. The blogs don't have to be masterpieces or a certain length. As long as there's SOME content in there, it's acceptable.
  2. If, for whatever reason (i.e.: unable to get time on the computer) that I cannot blog on a certain day, I get a reprieve.
    However with that being said, I can't take advantage of this. That's why I only get two excuse days a month, with the understanding that I can't 'stockpile' them for a later date.
  3. If I don't blog for three (or more) days a month, I have to make up for it by doing something**
  4. I will have fun. This will not turn into a resolution that will make me lose sleep and/or hair.

That sounds reasonable. I like that I get two excuse days. I promise I won't use them unless I honestly truly need to.

Okay so moving on to my other goal: reading two new books a month. I think I found a good challenge for this! I literally just came across the 10-10-10 Reading Challenge. I think this'll work for me! The rules are, as followed:

  1. Choose 10 different categories or genres
  2. Start reading books from these categories, with a goal of reading 10 books of each by 10/10/10. (Which for anyone who doesn't know, is October 10th, 2010.)
  3. Catalog your progress by emailing 101010reading@gmail.com (The people putting this on will add your categories/genres and books you've read as they receive them.)

I think the categories/genres that I'm going to read are as follows:

  • YA novels that are about realistic teenagers (i.e: Sarah Dessen, John Green)
  • Fantasy novels (can be YA)
  • Mystery/Thriller
  • Romance (The cheesy ones for $4.99 at Zellers is an acceptable read!)
  • Chick lit
  • (Auto)biographies
  • Completely new authors that I've (never) heard of
  • Classics (So perhaps something like Jane Austen.)
  • Anthologies
  • Humor books (i.e., books by George Carlin, Rick Mercer, etc.)
I think this challenge will get me out to the library more. However, I know for a fact that most of them will be revolved around YA novels. I've got nothing against these types of books (because I ADORE them), but it's not really expanding my reading horizons too much. So another little rule that I'm adding on is:
  • THREE books out of each category must be considered "regular fiction"

I think that'll do for now. I think by the end of the week (next week, I mean), I will reevaluate some of my resolutions. Oh yes, the doubt is already starting to creep up. Nice.

But I'd like to say on a random note that I picked this particular background/layout because of Shelly Quade. Ha, I wonder if that'll creep her out.

- Possum

* I'm not actually a man.
** "Something" will be decided on later

P.S: My other resolutions are still in place!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Possum!

    Blogging every day is a difficult task, but a fun, rewarding one, and I'm sure you'll enjoy doing it.

    Thanks for posting the rules for the "10-10-10 Challenge." I had heard of it recently, but had no idea what it was. Needless to say, the curiosity was eating me up inside (though I kind of just said it, anyway...).

    With regards to reading choices, I would suggest Audrey Niffeneger's work (romance), Agatha Christie (mystery), F. Scott Fitzgerald (Classics), Oscar Wilde's fairy tales (Classics, and just really fun), and Christopher Moore (humor/fantasy).

    Making goals is kind of scary, because it's very easy to get lazy and fail. Yet if you persevere (without being too hard on yourself), you will feel so proud and accomplished. Try not to doubt, too much. :)

    And I'm not creeped out at all. It's a nice background, and I consider it flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Shelly!

    I think I will enjoy blogging daily. It shall be a fun experience.

    Are you going to do the 10-10-10 challenge? It wasn't a problem to put the rules up or anything, so I didn't mind. I still have to email the two people, though.. Hm, I guess I better get on that!

    Thanks for the author suggestions! They're much appreciated. And a surprise... So thanks!

    Glad you're not creeped out! It's good to know, I guess. Ha.

    ReplyDelete