I recently got a test back that I wrote in history a few days before winter break. I'm not about to talk about my mark (eh) but the comment my student teacher left on my test.
Here it is, as she wrote it:
Wow! You must've been getting tired. Your writing gets less & less formal (& funnier & funnier) as you go.
When I got this comment back, the only thing I could do was laugh. I mean, what else are you supposed to do? I showed it to my pal, and she laughed as well. She actually looked at my final question, and again, what else can you do? LAUGH. My last sentence on the test (and question) was, as follows:
As for when the revolution began and ended, that's important for the start and finish.
You can see what the student teacher meant.
No matter what I'm writing, I'll occasionally slip in some TRUE POSSUM-isms. Like, no joke. I think the ultimate example was when I did an essay* on the stages of parenting (sort of). The assignment was to write a formal essay on parenting, with references. But the thing was, I started so late in the evening the DAY BEFORE THE ESSAY WAS DUE, I just couldn't do it. So what I did was, just write it from me. It so wasn't formal, I'm surprised my teacher just didn't fail me for the entire assignment. She actually put on my report card good effort into the final project. I guess the keyword there is effort but still. I'm just uber surprised she didn't dock marks from my final assessment in general.
But for your reading pleasure, I present to you, my project!
Parents and Childrearing
The part in the lifecycle when you become a parent is a big step, and an important part of it. Ever since the beginning of humans, there was procreation. But raising a child was not always for love and affection, but for convenience and a way to just survive personally. Now that times have changed, you have to look back to see the transformation.
In the past, you would have as much children as possible, even if you couldn’t afford to care for them, or even love and get attached to them, because you needed them there for convenience to either feed yourself and have the luck of the farm on your side, or so your bloodline will live on. Due to the death of children due to the lack of hospital care, children were often dying left right and center, and this put a damper on such things as love.
Today though, love and affection (and a need for parenting) is making wannabe parents crave for that kind of unconditional love. Couples and single people are going to the end of the world to achieve this, and you have to wonder why. After the traditional wedding, it’s expected by society for that couple to have children, even if you told your family and friends that would not happen. It seems today people are just holding that right to everyone that it needs to happen.
Although to make an assumption of everyone is wrong, and you have to look at every person uniquely. Some people just assume that in their life, they will find their soul mate, marry said person, and mate until a child comes along. But for some, in this ideal world, they don’t think they would be able to have a child. To them, this is the probably the worst news they could ever hear (until of course, there is hope in adoption and technology).
Some psychology and social characteristics of a person during this life stage in the circle (cycle, I mean) of life is probably hope or even in some cases, dread. Some people do not want a child (blasphemy, I know!) and finding out they are having one can cause a big set of problems ranging from physical and emotional stuff that are quite hard to handle. Maybe this is due to not ever planning on having children, or kind of not even being in the right part of the life cycle, this could lead to problems. BUT, for the most part, wanting-to-be-expecting parents are nervous, happy, and waiting for the stork to make a visit! But to some… it might be that they hope the Petri dish was clean. (-le gasp!- Hopefully it was…).
Some tasks during the parenting part of the life cycle are conceiving. And if you’re one of those wanting a nuclear family people, marriage would also be a step in the right direction. Remember, sometimes on that oh so lucky night after, you might even be making your BABY!
But, as for myself thinking theories is for chumps, and cold hard facts is the way to go, I will have to ignore that requisite and move on. (Please, do not fail me!).
Okay, so you’ve finally got the news: YOU’RE HAVING A BABY! What do you do? Tell your partner that you’re receiving a bundle of joy (if you’re happy, of course, which I will expect you to be. MIRACLE OF LIFE and all!) And that you’re got the entire baby stuff (including the stroller and pacifiers and the bottles and the … well you see what I mean!), and of course, this child arriving, you are now a proud parent! What comes when entering the new (maybe?) world or parenting is a bunch of synonyms I can go on about, but I’ll stick with happy to keep it short, but what comes with this is stress, and a need for adjustment!
The baby is crying, your husband isn’t home on time, and you just want to sleep so bad… What do you do? You adjust! Woman, this is your life now! This isn’t a fictional novel where the ‘baby’ sleeps; you play some footsie with your husband while making a beautiful dinner; and then relax to a new movie you wanted to see for a week! Even though I’ve never experienced the wonders of parenthood personally, from what I read in some real life situations: It isn’t some lifetime movie (although some are really good), it’s real life!
You’re always tired, the baby, the wonder of joy you waited 9 months for to finally arrive (after being so close!), is causing chaos in your life. It’s like you’re an agent of chaos, and your baby is, and your partner, but you need to figure it all out. Don’t worry, after awhile, you will get the hang of it, and it will be good. Until of course, there is that new epic, supersonic toy they want in the future…
Say for instance, you’re planning a party for your child’s first birthday and she decides to get sick. Who does she think she is, being able to get sick?! IT’S LIKE SHE IS OUT TO GET YOU! But, being a good mother, you take her to the doctors, realizing it’s nothing major, so you decide to hold the party anyways. I advise you to stop right now and evaluate this situation. Stop, listen and evaluate! It’s simple procedure. You’re child is sick. SICK! It isn’t cancer, but it’s a semi small cold! This is what you do: You hold off the party until she is better, and will bare the necessities (oh the bear...) of being held and kissed by strangers. I mean, there is only enough a baby can handle! Which you will also be glad to be able to relax a little. Planning a baby party is hard work! Hold off what you can do tomorrow. Not everything is urgent. Seriously. The procrastinators are alive today to tell you this.
So the cost of your little bundle of joy has shot through the roof! Who would’ve known raising a little baby boy to the age of 18 will cost you $155 611 while a girl is $154 993! That’s a crazy amount! Imagine what YOU could’ve bought with all that money at the age of 18. Your mind would’ve exploded with the possibilities. But, you’re a parent now, and you’re faced with that reality of that amount of money. You’re blown away. And that’s not even counting your ability to be a “cool” parent, buying them whatever they wish, letting them do stuff extra… What do you do? You save. Saving money is an important thing to do when you have children. And relax. This is over 18 years. Just think: It’s not like they’re hounding you straight up for it all as soon as the child is born. They’re not credit card companies! “WE WILL TAKE THE BABY AWAY AND PUT YOU IN DEBT!” <<>
--
Isn't that just lovely? That was my rough copy that I had on my email, so I apologize for any errors.
So today I had a debate meet. As I love to argue points, but I fail at speaking without being nervous, it's a wonder why I joined the debate club in general. I mean, really. And the feedback I got back reflects my worries. I was nervous, and the judge said I shouldn't be. I mean, I had great points, so why should I? Because I'm talking in front of people I don't even know.
Seriously.
But it's nice to get feedback in general. It helps, y'know?
Yeah, feedback.
- Possum
* It wasn't really an essay, persay... I mean, what I wrote.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment