Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Twitter, how it ruined the illusion!

You know how a lot of people like Twitter? Heck, I'm one of them. I LOVE being able to read tweets and see what's a-happening with people. I mean, Maureen Johnson is an amazing tweeter (...), that talks to her fans, AND manages to remain funny at the same time. However, there are SOME famous people that are just "..." on Twitter.

Overall, I enjoy following all my favorite authors. The majority of them don't even really talk just about their books, but what's up with them, and whatever seems to be the BIG NEWS of the moment. And it's cool! Just now, I saw a tweet from Mj talking about how she's eating. I mean, whoo? It's nice to know information like that.

I like it!

So when I find out my MOST FAVORITE AUTHOR EVER WHO I SIMPLY ADORED wasn't as awesome, I was disappointed. I put too much hype on her, that she couldn't stay on that pedestal. And oh okay, I'm fine with that. But when I started to realize how much I idealized her without really THINKING about her, I got kind of angry.

I do this a lot. Once I find something, I LOVE IT. There is not much middle ground for me. (See this as a warning...?) Of course, there are some people I just like without being a near stalker, but then there are some who... They don't really fall under TRUE BLUE POSSUM STANDARDS.

And Meg Cabot was one of them.

I did a project on how I would go to Key West, Florida just to find her. I wrote into her when her blogs asked for it. I joined the forums on her website to see other Meg Cabot fans. I even joined a ning network and was upgraded to moderator because of my obvious love for her.

SURE, other authors say she's AWESOME, and she's NICE. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? Yeah, she seems to LOVE her fans, but she's not really NICE NICE NICE to them. And it all kind of stems back to twitter. I don't know why, but when she tweets to her fans, I get angry.

Why?

My sister pointed this out to me. My sister was on her twitter page, and realized Cabot was "talking" to her fans. Except she wasn't even naming who they were. If you're familar to Maureen Johnson's twitter style, you realize when she answers questions from her fans, she'll put their name. Maybe it's just the crazy way MJ does business, but it's COOL.

Or maybe it's just because she's a nerdfighter that she's like that?

Because Meg Cabot? She is DEFINITELY NOT a nerdfighter.

But back to the point: Cabot does NOT do that! She'll just ANSWER THE QUESTION. Sure, the tweets are limited, but still.

And I know it's practically blasphemy to say this about Meg Cabot, queen of young adult, but seriously.

I put her too far on a chair of awesome, and she came falling down. But she'll come back on a regular level soon enough.

Or at least I hope so.

- Possum

P.S: There is also the fact that the majority of her fans are just .... !!! THEY'RE SO STUPID! A generalization, I KNOW, but still.

2 comments:

  1. Hey!! You did a blog post on what I asked about! Thanks!

    I am sorry that your opinion of Meg Cabot has become lesser than it was. That's the problem with putting people on pedestals - they are rarely godlike enough to stay there.

    But loving things is good. It means that you're passionate. And what is life without passion?

    You still like her work. Her writing can be amazing, even if her Twitter etiquette is impersonal.

    Thanks, again, for answering my question. This was a well argued, informative piece of writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew most of this, but it was nice to get it in a neat little blog post! But hopefully you'll be able to think of Meg Cabot without being all !!! soon enough. I mean. She created MICHAEL and DAVID. She can't be ALL BAD!

    ReplyDelete